[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 28 JANUARY 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Jan 25 01:18:22 CET 2012

PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 28 JANUARY 2012 (No. 2849)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 26 JANUARY 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

HOW CLEAN IS GREEN?
Although alternative energy is thought to be clean and green, it is becoming clear that even seemingly innocuous energy sources such as wind power could affect the planet's climate too. While these effects are currently outweighed by the effects of CO2, scientists are starting to realise that we need to take a long-term view of all our energy sources. Feature Pages 34 - 38

HOW THE MIGHTY ARE FALLEN
>From the kings of the jungle to the boreal giants, the world's greatest trees are in danger from an increased a range of threats including pests, changing climatic conditions and adult mortality.
Feature Pages 39 - 41

THE ORCHID CHILDREN
A gene variant that has previously been linked to antisocial behaviour is now being shown to have positive effects and is causing a major revision in behavioural science. This 'vulnerability gene' may instead be responsible for making individuals more attuned and responsive to their environment, both for good and for bad. Feature Pages 42 - 45

DRILLING INTO THE UNKNOWN
Fracking, the process of cracking rock to access the gas it holds, is causing a furore in the US and Europe over possible health effects, but are the concerns justified? Pages 8 - 10

FRIENDS? WHO NEEDS THEM
Even for the most privacy-conscious individual, our online friends and contacts are a liability and may unwittingly be leaking some of our vital information. Pages 21 - 22

STOP CRAMMING IN THE RAM
We will not be able to keep cramming more and more digital information onto our memory cards forever. A radical new approach could solve an impending memory crisis and allow a massive increase in memory density, without making chips any bigger. Page 24

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

GAME ON, BABE: IPADS HIT THE PIGPEN
Forget Angry Birds: a new collaborative iPad game called Pig Chase could allow you to interact with real animals to help alleviate barnyard boredom.
http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/nstv/2012/01/game-on-piggies-ipad-play-hits-the-pigpen.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Tanesha Langham
Subscriptions Marketing Co-ordinator
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2038
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.