[ASC-media] STRATEGIC PROJECT FUNDING BY PORK CRC BOARD

Brendon Cant brendon at iinet.net.au
Mon Jul 9 04:06:11 CEST 2012

Pork CRC Media Release - July 9, 2012

STRATEGIC PROJECT FUNDING BY PORK CRC BOARD

At its June meeting, the Board of Directors of the CRC for High Integrity
Australian Pork approved $2.7 million worth of second round R&D funding for
2012-2013.

The funds were spread across the four programs, with Programs 2 (Herd health
management) and 3 (Healthy pork consumption) each receiving $750,000 -
$760,000 and Programs 1 (Confinement free sow and piglet management) and 4
(Carbon conscious nutrient inputs and outputs) receiving $500,000 and
$687,000, respectively.

According to Pork CRC CEO, Dr Roger Campbell, this comes on top of the $4.6
million allocated in the first funding round last year.

"I'm pleased to report that we're already close to seeing some positive,
industry changing outcomes from projects funded in that first round," he
noted.

Dr Campbell said there were some very innovative second round proposals:
"The quality of proposals was excellent, which meant the review process had
to be particularly rigorous, with 32 of 54 applications being recommended by
the R&D Committee and supported by the Board."

Recognising the significance of the industry decision to voluntarily
phase-out sow gestation stalls by 2017 and Coles request of its pork
suppliers to be stall free by 2014, the Pork CRC Board, at its June meeting,
allocated $100,000 in additional, strategic funds to investigate what's
happening commercially and run refresher workshops.

Workshops are currently planned for Melbourne and Toowoomba, week commencing
October 15.

Dr Campbell, although personally convinced the Australian industry can make
group housing work and acknowledging that the Pork CRC has very promising
R&D in place, is very aware of the degree of urgency, as system changing
deadlines approach.

"While many Australian producers have already moved to group housing of
pregnant sows, it's not necessarily been in a systematic or consistent
manner, so we want to know what are the secrets to making it really work for
the sow and the producer.

"This is why we want the workshops to attract experienced overseas and
Australian producers who have successful sow group housing systems up and
running," he said.

The Pork CRC has supported several projects on group housing of sows after
weaning, covering such aspects as floor space, when to group them after
mating, how they're fed after mixing, how a sow's ranking in a group affects
her welfare and performance and a range of interventions to reduce
aggression in the period immediately after mixing.

www.porkcrc.com.au

Authorised by Pork CRC and issued on its behalf by

Brendon Cant, Tel 08 9731 6739.

MEDIA CONTACT:
<mailto:roger.campbell at porkcrc.com.au?subject=Media%20Release> Dr Roger
Campbell, Mob 0407 774 714.

Pork Project Funding.doc/Campbell 070712

Brendon Cant

Communications Manager

Tel 08 9731 6739