[ASC-media] Media release: DAILY ICRS 2012 MEDIA UPDATE

SciNews releases at scinews.com.au
Wed Jul 11 02:21:16 CEST 2012

:: MEDIA ALERT
:: ScienceAlert

[To ensure delivery, please add releases at scinews.com.au to your address book, contact list, safe senders list, or white list.]

DAILY ICRS 2012 MEDIA UPDATE

Cairns, Wednesdat, July 11, 2012

Here’s a hit list of newsworthy items to help you navigate today’s proceedings. Be sure to check the daily Coral News for program updates and changes. Scroll to the bottom of this email for additional information on covering the event.

CENTER STAGE
9:30 – Press briefing
Reefonomics: Experts explore the cultural and economic drivers of the trade of live reef fish for food and aquariums, the impacts on coral reef biodiversity and the potential solutions to overexploitation. Meeting Room 7, Press Briefing Room

11:00 – Press briefing
Bottom-Up Conservation: Hear firsthand how countries attempt to combine Western science, traditional practices and community determination in marine resource management. Find out how this is applicable across the globe. Meeting Room 7, Press Briefing Room

BIG TALK
8:30 – Plenary: Peter Kareiva, Chief Scientist and Vice President of The Nature Conservancy, will share insights into whether corals arefragile or resilient and how the answer impacts the way we should manage them. Plenary Hall 2

SCIENCE SPOTLIGHT
Here’s a taste of the compelling science and research on the agenda today:

•      11:15 – Paul Marshall presents on an effort to shift toward a paradigm that explicitly integrates biodiversity protection and livelihood outcomesto respond to climate change. Hall B
•      14:45 – Dirk Zeller examines more than 60 years of estimated catch data for small scale fisheries in over 20 Pacific island countries and territories as he underscores the importance of these underreported fisheries to food security. Hall A
•      16:30 – Joshua Cinner gives an evaluation of 43 fishery co-management arrangements across five countries that demonstrate co-management is largely successful at meeting ecological and social goals. Hall A

ONLINE BUZZ
All day on twitter and facebook, we're going to be discussing "Reefonomics"  - can the world's demand for reef species, both for food and aquariums be sustained? (#icrs2012 #fish).

Later on we're also going to discuss bottom-up conservation, i.e. how do we combine western science with community involvement in marine resource management? (#icrs2012 #conservation)

TOP TWEETS
Fancy your chances at twitter glory? Tweet about #ICRS2012 and your 140 characters could be featured here!

Tuesday's top tweets:

•      @GCITweet: Finding Nemo? Not far away from home... 50% of juveniles come back to reefs where they were born #icrs2012
•      @DoddyRosadi: The future cost for conservation are so much higher than the current cost, no matter how much you cut it #ICRS2012
•      @SheilaSarhangi:"The Great Barrier Reef is well-managed, it's the threat that comes from the adjacent land." -Bob Pressey, JCU #ICRS2012

ALL CURRENT MEDUIA RELEASES
http://www.icrs2012mediaportal.com/news-releases/

COVERING ICRS 2012
Even if you can’t attend every day or any day, you can still cover ICRS 2012. Just visit www.icrs2012.com/mediaportal for more details on the press briefings.

There will be a full-length video of each briefing posted about an hour after its conclusion. In addition, you can find a photo bank of high-resolution coral reef photos and b-roll videos to help you cover the issues and science of ICRS 2012. Lastly, you will find ICRS 2012 press releases and partner releases, plus other information you need to cover the world’s premier coral reef conference.

Join the conversation via several social media platforms:
•      Twitter.com/ICRS2012
•      Facebook.com/ICRS2012
•      Linkedin.com/groups/ICRS2012

We’ll be tweeting live from the Symposium, so if you want to get connected to us and others talking about coral reef issues, be sure to use the #ICRS2012 hashtag.

--

Melissa Lyne
Australia and New Zealand Media Co-ordinator

  Distributed by http://www.scinews.com.au

This email has been sent to asc-media at lists.asc.asn.au. If you no longer wish to receive these messages, please email leave at scinews.com.au. If you have trouble viewing this email, you can view it online at http://www.scinews.com.au/releases/email_redirect/683.

:: SciNews - ACT Registered Business F00130078 - http://www.scinews.com.au ::