[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 21 JULY 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Jul 18 04:49:56 CEST 2012

NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 21 JULY 2012 (No. 2874)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL 04:00 HRS AEST (06:00 HRS NZST) THURS 19 JULY 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

OLYMPIC EXTREMES
The games are a scientific triumph as well as a sporting one. New Scientist explores the latest crazes that could help shave one-hundredth of a second off an athlete's time, heighten mental focus, improve recovery time, limit the risk of illness and improve nutrition and energy. Fiona Pelly, sports dietician at the University of the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and Barry Baker at the University of Sydney both discuss ways science helps boost athlete performance. Feature Pages 44 - 49

SHARK ATTACK
Five fatal shark attacks in 10 months have led the Western Australian fisheries minister to question whether great white sharks still merit protected status. However, Ryan Kempster at Flinders University in South Australia says there is "absolutely no scientific evidence" to suggest the recent uptick is linked to a rise in the shark population. Page 6

VACCINES BREED DEADLY NEW VIRUSES
For the first time we have evidence that a lethal virus has developed from vaccines that were meant to protect against it. Glenn Browning at the University of Melbourne in Australia and colleagues found new strains of a virus emerged when the European strain used in a vaccine acquired genes from Australian strains used in vaccines. Page 17

ON THE BRINK
The saga of high-altitude parachuting is about more than just dreams and records. It is a fascinating but largely unknown story of ingenuity, technology and pure guts. Later this year Austrian skydiver Felix Baumgartner will become the first man in almost 50 years to ride in a helium balloon to the rarified region above 99 per cent of earth's atmosphere and free fall into history. Feature Pages 36 - 39

A PASSWORD SO SECRET EVEN YOU DON'T KNOW IT Even the most sophisticated electronic security can be defeated by forcing someone to reveal a password. But what if sensitive information could be stored in your brain in such a way that you couldn't consciously disclose it, no matter how hard you tried? Page 14

THE CONSCIOUSNESS CONNECTION
A special type of brain cell may help build the rich inner life we call consciousness, including emotions, our sense of self, empathy and our ability to navigate social relationships. Many other big-brained animals share these cells in the same spot as the human brain and a greater understanding of the way these paths converge could tell us much about the evolution of the human mind. Consciousness might even have been a big and very successful accident. Feature Pages 32 - 35

JUST BACK FROM THE ISS, LOTS TO TELL...
A group of three mice have returned alive from a record-breaking 91 days aboard the International Space Station, the longest space trip of any animal besides us. What they experienced can help us understand the effects of long-term space travel on the body, that might help protect humans in space and back on Earth. Pages 8 - 9

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

OPEN ACCESS PROMISED FOR PUBLICLY FUNDED RESEARCH Moves in the UK and elsewhere in Europe suggest research papers that stem from publicly funded studies could be made open access.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn22067-open-access-promised-for-publicly-funded-research.html

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:
If you'd like to view the above articles in full-text AND/OR for radio & TV interviews, please contact Lucy Dunwell, Audience Development Manager, Tel: 61 2 9422 2893 or email: media at newscientist.com.au

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Leah.Kinthaert at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com Lucy Dunwell Audience Development Manager New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2893
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.