[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 10 MARCH 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 7 01:23:36 CET 2012

PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 10 MARCH 2012 (No. 2855)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 8 MARCH 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

AFTER THE WAVE
On March 11 2011, a massive earthquake hit north-east Japan, resulting in a tsunami that killed 20,000 people and caused a meltdown at the Fukushima nuclear power plant. One year on, we look at how these events have shaken up the nuclear industry and some implications for climate change and food production. Pages 8 - 9

MARVELLOUS MIDDLE AGE
Far from being over the hill, humans in their fifth and sixth decades are at the pinnacle of evolution and critical for the success of our species. Feature Pages 48 - 51

SUPERNUKES
Decommissioning a nuclear power plant is a real headache and the process of making it permanently safe can take longer than the reactor's operating life. So could we instead build a nuclear power plant that lasts hundreds of years? Feature Pages 44 - 47

MASTER OF COLOUR
Although the history of modern science is supposed to have begun during the Renaissance with Galileo and Copernicus, it seems there was a 13th century scholar who understood light in pretty much the way we do now. Pages 52 - 53

REVELATIONS FROM THE BODY ELECTRIC
An electrical phenomenon called ferroelectricity, used in computer memories, has been discovered in mammalian soft tissue. This raises the possibility of new drugs and building memory devices that use molecules already present in the body. Pages 6 - 7

BONOBOS GO OUT OF THEIR WAY TO RESCUE FRIENDS
Unlike other species, bonobos don't forget their lost friends, and will travel long distances to find them. This caring behaviour may be down to the species' female leadership. Page 12

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

SPIDER SILK SPUN INTO VIOLIN STRINGS
Spiders can now give you goosebumps in a good way. Strands of spider silk have been used to make violin strings that have a unique and thrilling sound, thanks perhaps to the way the strands deform when twisted. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21540-spider-silk-spun-into-violin-strings.html

THE FUTURE OF SPACE FOOD
Space tourism is just around the corner. Some people are worried about the costs, others the safety. But for foodies on board, there might be an altogether more pressing question: what's for dinner?  http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/culturelab/2012/03/the-future-of-space-food.html

SNAKES ON AN INCLINED PLANE CONTROL SCALES TO CLIMB
It seems snakes can control each of their scales individually to grip rough surfaces and fight gravity. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21536-snakes-on-an-inclined-plane-control-scales-to-climb.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Tanesha Langham
Subscriptions Marketing Co-ordinator
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2038
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.