[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 17 MARCH 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 14 01:40:38 CET 2012

PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 17 March 2012 (No. 2856)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 15 MARCH 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

NEW SCIENTIST SPECIAL: GOD
In our "enlightened" world, God is still everywhere. As humans, we seem unable to let God go, and this can cause serious tensions. In this special report, New Scientist lays out a scientific vision that might not resolve ancient tensions, but could at least reset the terms of the debate over God. Special Feature Pages 37 - 49

* BORN BELIEVERS: Our minds solve fundamental problems in a way that leaves a god-shaped space waiting to be filled. Pages 39 - 41
* THE IDEA THAT LAUNCHED A THOUSAND CIVILISATIONS: Without religion we would still be living in the Stone Age. Pages 42 - 44
* NATURAL RELIGION, UNNATURAL SCIENCE: Those who would dance on religion's grave are underestimating its staying power. Pages 44 - 46
* THE GOD HYPOTHESIS: The existence, or not, of God is very much a question science can address. Pages 46 - 47

THERE'S A PARTICLE FOR THAT
>From glueballs to inflatons, and wimpzilla to winos, it seems physicists have a particle for everything. But what do they do, why do they keep inventing more and what do they really explain? Feature Pages 32 - 36

VIRTUAL WINDOW ON BRAINS AT WORK
Animals thinking inside a virtual world can help us understand what can go wrong in the human brain. Pages 6 - 7

JONAH SNAILS TRAVEL THE WORLD INSIDE BIRD GUTS
Some snails are able to survive inside the gut of mallard ducks, to then pop out the other end unscathed and spread into new areas. Page 15

THE LONGEST SHORTCUT
Laying fibre-optic cables under the Arctic ice will improve internet performance - but it's easier said than done. Page 19

THE SOCIAL ELECTION
If the 2009 US presidential election proved the value of social media as a campaigning tool, this election season will provide an historic test for the emerging industry of social media analytics. Pages 20 - 21

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

EXHIBITIONIST SPINY ANTEATER REVEALS BIZARRE PENIS
Australia's own short-beaked echidna has revealed a unique secret to Steve Johnston of the University of Queensland: it has a four-headed penis, but only uses one side when mates. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn12838-exhibitionist-spiny-anteater-reveals-bizarre-penis.html

PACIFIC ISLAND TO BUY PIECE OF FIJI AS CLIMATE PLAN
Caught between a devil of a choice and the deep blue sea, the Pacific nation of Kiribati intends to buy land on Fiji's main island as a long-term measure to cope with rising sea levels. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21581-pacific-island-to-buy-piece-of-fiji-as-climate-plan.html

DEADLY FROG DISEASE SPREADS THROUGH TOLERANT SPECIES
Pacific tree frogs that can survive a normally lethal fungus infection are spreading it to species that cannot. Such "reservoir" species could threaten frogs released from captive breeding programmes. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21583-deadly-frog-disease-spreads-through-tolerant-species.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Tanesha Langham
Subscriptions Marketing Co-ordinator
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2038
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.