[ASC-media] NEW SCIENTIST PRESS RELEASE 24 MARCH 2012

RBI - NewScientist - Media (RBI - AUS) media at newscientist.com.au
Wed Mar 21 01:49:14 CET 2012

PRESS RELEASE

NEW SCIENTIST MAGAZINE ISSUE DATE 24 March 2012 (No. 2857)

THESE MAGAZINE STORIES ARE EMBARGOED FOR PRINT OR BROADCAST UNTIL: 05:00 HRS AEST (07:00 HRS NZST) THURS 22 MARCH 2012.

Reports on stories must credit NEW SCIENTIST as the source.

Reports online must include a link to www.NewScientist.com

NEW SCIENTIST SPECIAL: RIDDLES OF OUR PAST
Even though we already know a lot about human evolution and development over the last few million years, many mysteries remain. In this special report, we look at some of them. Feature Pages 34 - 42

* Why are we so different from chimps?
* Why did we become bipedal?
* Why was technological development so slow?
* When did language evolve?
* Why are our brains so big?
* Why did we lose our fur?
* Why did we go global?
* Are some of us hybrids?
* Did we exterminate the Neanderthals?
* Are there any other hominins left?

HIP, HIP, ARRAY!
Australia and South Africa are vying for the right to host the square kilometre array telescope. It will be the largest telescope ever built and promises to take us within a few hundred million years of the big bang and probe the universe's dark ages, which has never been possible before. Feature Pages 43 - 47

EYES WIDE SHUT
Narcolepsy is the frequent and overwhelming need to sleep but pharmaceutical companies are far more interested in inducing narcolepsy than curing it. However, their motives are not as nefarious as they might seem. Feature Pages 48 - 51

OFF-THE-CHART ANIMAL SMARTS
People with pets know that some animal species are smarter than others. In looking at specifically at ape intelligence, it seems that some are super-intelligent. Can animal geniuses help us define the nature of intelligence, or are they a mere distraction? Pages 6 - 7

A GRIM ACCOUNTING
A combination of automated data mining and crowdsourced human intelligence may provide a powerful means to assess the human cost of wars and disasters. Page 22

METAL DETECTOR KNOWS HOW MUCH CASH IS IN YOUR WALLET
Perhaps the conspiracy theory is half-right after all - it is possible to both detect and count concealed banknotes printed with magnetic inks, which may help police to catch people attempting to smuggle cash. Page 23

The following articles are for IMMEDIATE RELEASE. Please click on the links below to view the full-text articles.

GARDEN GNOME GOES NOMAD TO SHOWCASE GRAVITY
A nomadic gnome is travelling the world to highlight a little-known quirk of our planet: gravity changes depending on where you are. http://www.newscientist.com/blogs/shortsharpscience/2012/03/lisa-grossman-reportera-nomadi.html

OUT-OF-BREATH COPS FAIL TO RECOGNISE THE PERPETRATOR
Witnesses to a crime might recall events and faces less accurately if physically exhausted at the time of the incident. http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn21601-outofbreath-cops-fail-to-recognise-the-perpetrator.html

ENDS

PRESS CONTACT IN AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND:

PRESS CONTACT IN EUROPE:
New Scientist Press Office, Tel: +44 (0)20 7611 1286 or email: Louise.Dowding at newscientist.com

PRESS CONTACT IN THE US:
New Scientist Boston office: Tel: +1 781 734 8778 or email: Kimberly.karman at newscientist.com

For breaking science and technology stories everyday visit www.newscientist.com
Tanesha Langham
Subscriptions Marketing Co-ordinator
New Scientist
Tel: 61 2 9422 2038
Email: media at newscientist.com.au

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's permission. We have taken precautions to minimise the risk of transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment to this e-mail. We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses.