[ASC-media] It's alimentary: The brain, the gut’s nervous system, and links to autism (podcast)

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 11:24:10 CET 2013

Hi there ASCers,

The latest podcast from Up Close is now available.

"It's alimentary: The brain, the gut’s nervous system, and links to autism"

http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/234-it-s-alimentary-brain-gut%E2%80%99s-nervous-system-and-links-autism

Neuroscientist Dr Elisa Hill and Gastroenterologist Dr Kent Williams
discuss the complex interactions between our brain and neurons found in the
gut, and consider the over-representation of gastrointestinal disorders in
children with autism. Presented by Dr Shane Huntington.

"What we've seen is that there are similarities in changes, such as the
hypothalamus and pituitary-adrenal axis in children with autism and
gastrointestinal disorders that we don't have a physiological or tissue
cause for." -- Dr Kent Williams

Check out our other science (and humanities) episodes at
upclose.unimelb.edu.au

Happy listening!

Dyani Lewis, PhD
Associate Producer, Science and Technology
Up Close podcast
email: dlewis at unimelb.edu.au