[ASC-media] Media release: Steering Australia to sustainability: 2050 and beyond

Australian Academy of Science scied at science.org.au
Thu Feb 21 01:57:08 CET 2013

AUSTRALIAN ACADEMY OF SCIENCE
MEDIA RELEASE
Steering Australia to sustainability: 2050 and beyond

The Governor-General, Ms Quentin Bryce AC CVO today launched an important new book from the Australian Academy of Science, designed to guide Australia's approaches to long-term economic, social and environmental sustainability.
Internationally acclaimed oceans and atmospheric expert Dr Mike Raupach FAA has led a 35-strong team of senior and emerging natural and social scientists to respond to the threats posed to Australia by an ageing population, rising sea levels, and uncertain food and water security.
Negotiating our future: Living scenarios for Australia to 2050 proposes tools and approaches to ensure Australia's social, economic and environmental sustainability to 2050 and beyond.
"To steer a path through obstacles and opportunities, we need to understand the realities that confront us - realities which point to profound changes in the world and in Australia," Dr Raupach said at the book launch at the Academy's Shine Dome in Canberra.
"To think about the future we need the best insights that science can offer, to steer a pathway through the challenges and to reach a workable agreement for the whole of our society.
"This book is about how living scenarios can develop and evolve to support coherent society-wide responses to the great challenges facing Australia - resilience, sustainability, and equity."
The book sets out tools and approaches for the whole of society to work together to determine what a future Australia will look like, and how to get there.
It includes tools for approaching sustainability from a range of perspectives, including:

  *   Resilience in the face of shocks
  *   Climate change and energy pressures
  *   Population issues
  *   Economic uncertainties
  *   Social justice and equity

"This is a project of vision and courage: it extends our boundaries and allows Australia to take control of how it approaches the future despite the many uncertainties with which we live," said Professor Suzanne Cory, President of the Australia Academy of Science.
Dr Raupach and other project leaders, and Academy Secretary for Physical Sciences Professor Chennupati Jagadish, are available for interview (contact below).
The book, and its companion volume, are available at www.science.org.au/policy/australia-2050/index.html<http://www.science.org.au/policy/australia-2050/index.html>

CONTACT      Kylie Walker    0405 229 152  kylie.walker at science.org.au<mailto:kylie.walker at science.org.au>