[ASC-media] NSW Event - Are we alone?

Van Tiel, Michael Michaelv at PHM.GOV.AU
Mon Jun 24 16:49:14 CEST 2013

Are we alone?
Sunday 30 June, 2pm-3pm

Aliens abound on the movie screens, but in reality we are still trying to find out if we share our universe with other sentient creatures. SETI, the search for extraterrestrial intelligence, attempts to detect evidence of another distant technology: finding it would infer the existence of intelligent technologists. SETI searches to date have looked for radio or optical signals coming from distant civilizations as one way to detect a technology across the vast distances that separate the stars. The Kepler spacecraft and ground based facilities have now discovered thousands of planets orbiting other stars – it may be the case that all stars have planetary systems around them.  Although we have not yet uncovered Earth 2.0, our twin, we think that event is imminent.  And when we do, we will surely wish to know whether anybody lives there. For the immediate future, SETI may be the only way to find out.

Join Dr. Jill Tarter, Bernard M. Oliver Chair for SETI at the SETI Institute in California, as she discusses what SETI is and why it matters; why you should care about the searches, and why you should become involved. We should not underestimate the importance of the search for helping us to achieve our own long-term future.

Included with Museum entry, free for Powerhouse members
Bookings essential: http://www.powerhousemuseum.com/talks/space.php

[cid:phmemailfooterdcbc06]Michael Van Tiel
Actg. Manager,
Family & Community Experiences
Powerhouse Museum
500 Harris Street, Ultimo, Sydney, NSW 2007 Australia
T +61 2 92170314
W http://www.powerhousemuseum.com

This email plus any attachments to it are confidential and may be privileged. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.