[ASC-media] The National Ageing Research Institute has welcomed the announcement of a policy research institute dedicated to ageing policy outlined in the 2013 Federal Budget

MediaWise mediawise at mediawise.net.au
Wed May 15 07:33:09 CEST 2013

AGEING POLICY RESEARCH INSTITUTE WELCOMED

The National Ageing Research Institute has welcomed the announcement of a
policy research institute dedicated to ageing policy outlined in the 2013
Federal Budget.

Professor David Ames, Director of NARI, said today: ³We believe this
institute is a solid step in the right direction for Australia¹s ageing
population².

³It is vital that we have strong policy, based on applied research findings,
to guide future programs.²

³By 2056, there will be 35.46 million people living in Australia, of which
nearly one quarter will be aged 65 and over. We need to shape programs and
services now to meet an inevitable growing need.²

NARI¹s evaluation research has shown consistently a strong correlation
between policy that has been guided by research resulting in well-developed
programs.

Professor Ames said: ³Dementia policy in Australia has been at the forefront
of an international move towards national dementia strategies that focus on
provision of services for people living with dementia and their families, as
well as providing dedicated funding for research, training and education in
the field of dementia care.²

NARI has said that while the 2013 Budget announced an expansion of consumer
directed community services, it was also important to continue to maintain
and increase funding for case managers supporting older Australians who
receive federal-funded community services.

³Our continuing research has shown that case management leads to good
results for older Australians and a recent review of the international
literature on the effectiveness of case management provided evidence very
relevant to the policy debate in this area,² added Professor Ames.

The National Ageing Research Institute (NARI) is the largest independent
research institute in ageing in Australia. NARI focuses on
multi-disciplinary translational research under an independent governance
structure, as well as providing training and education to professionals in
the sector.  It aims to be the centre of excellence in Australia for
research into ageing and improving the quality of life and health of older
people. A pioneer in Australia for ageing research, NARI is recognised
nationally and internationally for its work.

Media inquiries: Penny Underwood on (03) 9818 8540.
--
MediaWise Pty Ltd
Phone + 61 3 9818 8540 (Penny Underwood)
Email: mediawise at mediawise.net.au
40 Morang Road, Hawthorn, Victoria, 3122, Australia