[ASC-media] Preventing strokes, creativity, fiction on a map, and a diabetes drug warning

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Mon Nov 11 17:12:58 PST 2013

Dear ASCers,

Preventing strokes, fighting cancer with stats and using a high fibre diet to recover from stroke: three creative approaches to medical research are being rewarded tonight with the $25,000 Centenary Institute Lawrence Creative Prize. If you're in Sydney join us at a reception at 5:30pm at UBS in the city.

The prize recognises that major discoveries are most often made by scientists early in their career, when they have the freedom, imagination and energy to produce new ideas and explore them with original experiments.

Mapping Australia with stories: the Australian landscape is an essential in many books and movies - think Mad Max or Tim Winton's Dirt Music. Now you can tour Australia via an interactive digital map of the places and locations used as settings in fictional stories. The Cultural Atlas of Australia reveals how stories shape our understanding of the landscape and its ecosystems.

This Thursday is World Diabetes Day: Prof Mark Gorrell from Sydney's Centenary Institute is available to talk about diabetes and how enzyme inhibiting drugs are helping millions of people. His team's work was instrumental in the development of Januvia, a treatment for type 2 diabetes, and he helped get approval for the drug in Australia and the US.

Mark's continued to investigate treatments, and his latest discovery on the benefits and dangers of new drugs was published in PLOS ONE last week. He is available for expert comment in the lead-up to World Diabetes Day.

And finally, as we get closer to the silly season, we'll be putting together a collection of science stories from the year as a wrap-up of 2013.

Read more at: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/media-11nov13

Kind regards,

Niall
________