[ASC-media] Counting the coast: modeling the oceans of a warming planet (podcast)

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 20:12:27 PDT 2013

Dear ASCers,

The latest science podcast from Up Close is now available:

"Counting the coast: modeling the oceans of a warming planet"

http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/267-counting-coast-modeling-oceans-warming-planet

Climate modeler Dr Kathy McInnes describes what mathematical modeling can
tell us about the effects of rising sea levels and extreme weather events
on our coastlines. Presented by Dr Shane Huntington.

"Sea level rise won't be uniform for quite a number of reasons. One is that
as ice sheets melt, it changes the gravitational attraction, so you can get
a slightly different gravitational field playing out across the Earth,
typically so that you would tend to get the highest amount of rise the
furthest distance from the mass that's melting." -- Dr Kathleen McInnes

Check out our other science (and humanities) episodes at
upclose.unimelb.edu.au

Happy listening!

Dyani

--