[ASC-media] Useful imperfections: Nanodiamonds for quantum sensors in living cells (podcast)

Dyani Lewis dyanilewis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 24 20:11:49 PDT 2013

Dear ASCers,

The latest podcast from Up Close is now available:

"Useful imperfections: Nanodiamonds for quantum sensors in living cells"

http://upclose.unimelb.edu.au/episode/270-useful-imperfections-nanodiamonds-quantum-sensors-living-cells

Physicist Prof Lloyd Hollenberg explains how quantum technologies are
leading to the development of sensors of only a few atoms’ size -- small
enough to be placed inside living cells to enable monitoring of biological
processes. Presented by Dr Shane Huntington.

"Standard sensors are actually quite large. In our case, our sensor is
literally a single atom and we exploit its quantum properties in new ways
to sense its surroundings." -- Prof Lloyd Hollenberg

Check out our other science (and humanities) episodes at
upclose.unimelb.edu.au

Happy listening!

Dyani

--