[ASC-media] No futile research at the Eurekas

Tamzin Byrne tamzin at scienceinpublic.com.au
Thu Sep 5 18:09:03 PDT 2013

Dear ASCers,

This week at the Eureka Prizes we saw some amazing inventions that are saving lives and solving big issues for industry.

  *   Zebedee maps mines, caves and forests while you walk
  *   A 'vaccine' that stops mosquitoes from spreading dengue
  *   How vitamin B provides early warning of invasion
  *   A laser that knows when giant mining grinders will fail
  *   Lighter, strong armour for our troops in Afghanistan
  *   The mystery of orgasm
  *   And fatherhood - from a sea dragon's perspective.

When the researchers each started on their journeys some might have regarded their work as futile. So we were worried to read in the Telegraph that a coalition government will review all ARC grants. Who would have thought, for example, that looking for exploding black holes would lead to the wi-fi revolution? Science is full of serendipity.

But back to the Eurekas. There are medical stories, rural stories, mining stories, regional stories, and we've got Rick Shine talking snakes, and Rob Brooks talking about sex.

Most of the winners are available for interview over the weekend and next week. And they've all got YouTube clips about their work online.

Read more about the winners at: http://www.scienceinpublic.com.au/bulletins/no-futile-research-at-the-eurekas

Full releases, YouTube videos and photos at: http://australianmuseum.net.au/2013-winners-eureka

Cheers,
Tamzin