[ASC-media] ECU Natural Sciences: seminar Sept 27, Research Week and in the news

Nardia BORDAS n.bordas at ecu.edu.au
Sun Sep 22 22:00:23 PDT 2013

Greetings, Science Fans!
The next date in our free Seminar Series is this Friday September 27 at 3.30pm in room 19.143 (Building 19 of our Joondalup campus, map available upon request).  Our speaker is Dr Sora Marin Estrella, a Postdoctoral Research Fellow from our very own School of Natural Sciences.  Dr. Marin Estrella will speak on how nutrients and toxic Lyngbya blooms are affecting invertebrates and shorebirds in Roebuck Bay, a RAMSAR coastal wetlands system near Broome in Western Australia.  Full abstract available on request.
No need to register attendance, but a courtesy message to (08) 6304 5116 would be appreciated for catering/venue purposes.  If you're attending for the first time, please RSVP so I can send you a map with parking details and put out some direction signs.
Here's an updated schedule for the rest of the year (subject to change):
October 11: UWA marine researcher Dr Bonnie Laverock
October 25: Oceanica ecologist Glenn Shiell
November 1: AIMS Townsville visiting researcher Nicole Webster
November 8: ECU chemistry lecturer Dr Magdalena Wajrak
November 22: ECU researcher Amanda Wheeler

As part of ECU's Research Week, last Friday saw several Natural Sciences researchers talk about their work in the Centre for Ecosystem Management and the Centre for Marine Ecosystems Research.  Topics included computer modelling light capture by seagrass, human health and biodiversity in drying landscapes and carbon sequestration by Australian seagrasses - a talk by Professor Paul Lavery that has recently received much media attention.  Details of the seminars or news articles are available on request.

Hope to see you at ECU!
In science,
Nardia Bordas
Laboratory Technician, Promotions Officer | NTEU ECU Branch Vice-President (General), WA Division Assistant Secretary (General) | School of Natural Sciences, Edith Cowan University | Room JO19.242, 270 Joondalup Drive, Joondalup WA 6027 | T +61 8 6304 5116 | n.bordas at ecu.edu.au<mailto:n.bordas at ecu.edu.au>  | School website: www.ecu.edu.au/schools/natural-sciences/overview<http://www.ecu.edu.au/schools/natural-sciences/overview> | Collective Agreements: Academic<http://www.nteu.org.au/library/view/id/47> General<http://www.nteu.org.au/library/view/id/48>
My job is not desk-based so e-mail replies will not be immediate

This e-mail is confidential. If you are not the intended recipient you must not disclose or use the information contained within. If you have received it in error please return it to the sender via reply e-mail and delete any record of it from your system. The information contained within is not the opinion of Edith Cowan University in general and the University accepts no liability for the accuracy of the information provided.

CRICOS IPC 00279B