[ASC-media] Building on mud; and dozens of great speakers at UniMelb’s Festival of Ideas

Niall Byrne niall at scienceinpublic.com.au
Sun Sep 29 19:24:00 PDT 2013

Dear ASCers,

How soon can we build on mud?

With ports expanding and the push to build on reclaimed land, a Townsville engineer has done the maths to tell when mud is settled enough to build on.

She reckons the shipping and construction industries could save millions of dollars using her new, more accurate modelling, giving them greater accuracy in construction timelines and avoiding costly structural failures.

“With the continual need for port expansions, we are left with reclaiming land from the sea, a process that can take decades,” says Julie, who studied land reclamation as part of her PhD.

“But we need to be as accurate as possible in our land reclamation predictions. If we’re out by just one per cent, this can mean the difference between starting construction in two or 20 years,” she says.

More information, contact details and photos at www.freshscience.org.au/2013/building<http://www.freshscience.org.au/2013/building>

And in Melbourne, over 80 speakers are exploring the Art and Science of Wellbeing at the University of Melbourne’s Festival of Ideas.

We’re not working on this one – go to Prue Bassett (prue at netspace.net.au<mailto:prue at netspace.net.au>) or the University media office. But they’ve got some interesting people in town, including:

·         French genetics expert Agnès Ricroch who says, “the debate on GMOs from a health point of view is closed”

·         Simran Sethi, Emmy winning journalist, named ‘the environmental messenger’ by Vanity Fair, and a regular Oprah contributor

·         David Burney who is defining New York City’s future as its Commissioner of the Department of Design and Construction

·         Global health lawyer Lawrence O. Gostin who drafted the USA’s Model State Emergency Health Powers Act, attempting to define what governments can do in response to health emergencies

·         Chinese economic reformist Luo Xiaopeng

·         Puberty Blues author Kathy Lette on Asperger’s syndrome

In all there are 80 speakers. Australians include Mark Scott, Julian Burnside, Stephanie Alexander, Ray Moynihan, Kate Auty, Norman Swan, and a host of University of Melbourne speakers – all listed at http://ideas.unimelb.edu.au/speakers

Under the guidance of conference director Fiona Stanley they’ll explore the social, cultural, political and environmental challenges that will determine the future health and wellbeing of our children and grandchildren.

More information from Festival publicist, Prue Bassett, prue at netspace.net.au<mailto:prue at netspace.net.au> and at http://ideas.unimelb.edu.au<http://ideas.unimelb.edu.au/>

Kind regards,
Niall

________