[ASC-media] Cooperative Research Centres “Not Butchered”, Just Shaved

Jordan Gardner jordan.gardner at crca.asn.au
Thu Aug 7 20:08:25 PDT 2014

On
Wednesday night’s edition of The
Business, presenter Ticky Fullerton questioned the Minister for Industry,
The Hon. Ian Macfarlane, on “abolishing” the Cooperative Research Centres
Program, or at least “butchering it”.
Thankfully this is not the situation.

“CRCs are
far from abolished” said CRC Association CEO Dr. Tony Peacock.

“The recent
budget cuts hurt, no doubt about it. But we have 36 CRCs working flat out, and
a pipeline of new ones in development”.

Minister
Macfarlane gave an example of Boeing's advanced manufacturing earlier in the
interview. The CRC for Advanced Composites Structures (CRC-ACS) were integral to that development and
they are now working with Airbus on “welding” of composites. Past reviews and
studies have continuously demonstrated the extraordinary value of CRCs to
Australia.

Dr Peacock
said the CRC Association couldn’t agree more with Minister Macfarlane when he
says “collaboration is key”.

“CRCs
aren’t afraid of finding even better ways of maximising the collaboration
between industry and public researchers. We have an outstanding track record
but if we can identify improved pathways in the coming review, we’ll embrace
them.”

Dr. Peacock
will spend five weeks early in 2015 looking at world’s best practice in
university–business relationships, with the support of the Monash University
Churchill Fellowship.

Information:
Jordan Gardner, CRC Association, Phone 02 6273 1124 Mobile 0432 926 823

Email:
jordan.gardner at crca.asn.au.

---
Jordan Gardner
CRC Association, Communications and Marketing Officer
www.crca.asn.au | jordan.gardner at crca.asn.au | 02 6273 1124 | @crcassoc

Signup to receive our fortnightly newsletter by clicking here.

Signup for our free magazine CRCA KnowHow "where science meets business".