[ASC-media] Media Release: The fight for the talented and the well-trained

Jordan Gardner jordan.gardner at crca.asn.au
Mon Aug 11 20:52:44 PDT 2014

12
August 2014

Media Release

The fight for the talented and the well-trained

Amongst reports of dropping demand for graduates, Cooperative Research
Centres are still fighting to grab the best and brightest.

One of the great outcomes of the Cooperative Research Centres is the
talented, industry-ready graduates. CRCs fund approximately 5% of Australia’s
PhDs.

“CRCs fight to recruit the best students”, says CEO of the CRC Association,
Dr. Tony Peacock. “Sometimes they will pay more in their scholarships; they
always make sure there is a lot of interaction with their industry”.

In the Department of Education’s 2014 “Initiatives
to enhance the professional development of research”, CRCs made up 5 of the
15 case studies, showing the experience of over 20 years in working with
industry.

Some CRCs currently seeking scholars:

·
Data to
Decisions CRC

·
Antarctic
Climate & Ecosystems CRC

·
Capital Markets CRC

·
Invasive
Animals CRC

·
Dairy Futures CRC

All CRC postgraduate students have access to the Researcher Development Frame work (RDF)
by Vitae, which was developed for the UK Research Council. The RDF
identifies the knowledge behaviour and attributes of successful researchers.

“We know that business and industry don’t employ
PhD-level researchers in Australia at anything like the rate of countries like
the USA, Korea or Japan” says Dr. Peacock. “We need to train more postgraduates
to be interested and effective for industry, and have industry valued research
skills”.

---
Jordan Gardner
CRC Association, Communications and Marketing Officer
www.crca.asn.au | jordan.gardner at crca.asn.au | 02 6273 1124 | @crcassoc

Signup to receive our fortnightly newsletter by clicking here.

Signup for our free magazine CRCA KnowHow "where science meets business".