[ASC-media] BioBlitz ­ Crowdsourcing for Melbourne's ecology and biodiversity

Stephanie Pradier stephanie at amsi.org.au
Tue Oct 21 21:11:57 PDT 2014

Hello fellow ASCers

I stumbled onto the following event to be launched in Melbourne next Friday. Thought it might interest some of you out there!

http://participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/projects/bioblitz/

About Melbourne BioBlitz 2014

BioBlitz is a partnership between the City of Melbourne, Museum Victoria, RMIT, Australian Research Centre for Urban Ecology, the University of Melbourne, Royal Botanic Gardens, Melbourne Zoo and Parks Victoria.

It is a data collection based event in which members of the public of all ages can become volunteer citizen scientists. The goal is to find and identify as many species of plants, animals, microbes, fungi, and other organisms as possible in the city. By participating in Melbourne BioBlitz, you’ll be contributing to what we know about the diversity, ranges and behaviour of species in our city and be helping us create local biodiversity management plans. The City of Melbourne is in the very early stages of developing an Urban Ecology and Biodiversity Strategy. The information collected during this event will inform that strategy.

Get involved
Anyone can participate in these free events. However, it is important that children are supervised by an adult.
There are two main ways to get involved, outlined below

1 - Carry out an independent BioBlitz
Explore your backyard, laneway, street or park to see what you can discover. Organise your own BioBlitz event with your friends, family or community to work together as a group for a fun day out. Our team will then identify and map the species you send through.

STEPS
1.      Gather up your equipment. Essential: camera. Optional: mobile phone or GPS unit, magnifying glass, binoculars, camera, pencil and paper.
2.      Choose a location. This may be a nearby park, street or even your back garden! Step outside and observe your surroundings.
3.      Document your sightings. Note down what you see using the form at the end of this toolkit in the best way that suits you, or use technology to jump straight to step 4 in the field.
4.      Go online to send us what you’ve found.
Upload what you have seen using the online form on our website: www.participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/bioblitz<http://ww.participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/bioblitz>; via Twitter or Instagram using the hashtag #bioblitzmelb (remembering to include your location!), or by using the City of Melbourne’s special page on Bowerbird:www.bowerbird.org.au/projects/4481<http://www.bowerbird.org.au/projects/4481>.

2 - Join one of our expert-led BioBlitz events
Expert scientists and ecologists will lead participants to conduct a range of biodiversity surveys in a designated location. To register to join an expert-led event see event timetable on our website  http://participate.melbourne.vic.gov.au/projects/bioblitz/

  *   Surveys are undertaken at your own risk, so please be careful in your adventures. If participating in an expert-led BioBlitz event please let the survey leader know if you have any injuries or ailments before-hand. Surveys will require some walking and may be led through rough terrain. You are responsible for looking after your dependents and your own safety. The BioBlitz is about observation of species in the city. Please respect the wildlife you may discover.

For further details please contact:
Tania MacLeod
Urban Forester | Urban Landscapes | City of Melbourne | Council House 2, 240 Little Collins Street Melbourne 3000 | GPO Box 1603 Melbourne 3001
T: 03 9658 8714 | M: 0447 645 249 | F: 03 9658 9174 | E: tania.macleod at melbourne.vic.gov.au<mailto:tania.macleod at melbourne.vic.gov.au>
www.melbourne.vic.gov.au<http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/> | www.thatsmelbourne.com.au<http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/>

Best,
S.
Stéphanie Pradier
Media and Communications
(I am in the office Wednesday,Thursday and Friday)
[cid:26E15830-8F2B-4B89-8D41-E1368664E805]
Australian Mathematical Sciences Institute
Building 161, C/- The University of Melbourne, Victoria 3010 Australia
Mob: 0424 568 314 | P: 03 9035 3683 | F:  03 8344 6324| E: stephanie.pradier at amsi.org.au<mailto:stephanie.pradier at amsi.org.au> | W: amsi.org.au<http://www.amsi.org.au> |  www.amsi.org.au/facebook<http://www.amsi.org.au/facebook.php>

This e-mail and any attachments may contain personal information or information that is otherwise confidential or the subject of copyright.  Any use, disclosure or copying of any part of it is prohibited.  AMSI does not warrant that this e-mail or any attachments are free from viruses or defects.  Please check any attachments for viruses and defects before opening them.  If this e-mail is received in error please delete it and notify me by return e-mail.

--
Message  protected by SpamScreen: e-mail anti-virus, anti-spam and content filtering.http://www.spamscreen.com.au