[ASC-media] AMOS MEDIA: Weather, climate and ocean scientists gather in Brisbane

Melissa Lyne melissa at amos.org.au
Mon Jul 13 17:06:25 PDT 2015

* Weather, climate and ocean scientists gather in Brisbane *

Australia’s top researchers, managers and other professionals in the
meteorological, oceanographic, and climate sciences will gather in Brisbane
this week.

The Australian Meteorological and Oceanographic Society (AMOS) national
conference will be held at the Brisbane Convention & Exhibition Centre from
Wednesday 15 July until Friday 17 July. A public forum on* 'Emergency
Communication for Severe Weather Events' *will precede the event tonight.

By the end of the week, delegates will have explored some of the most
pressing questions facing the state of the weather, climate and oceans,
both nationally and globally.

AMOS President Assoc. Prof. Todd Lane says the 2015 theme, *‘Research to
Community’*, highlights scientists’ commitment to open and direct
communication with the public on current research and findings in the
climate, weather and ocean sciences.

“Many parts of our economy, environment and society are affected
significantly by the weather and climate—effective and efficient
communication of information about severe weather, climate variability and
climate change is essential and one of the key challenges faced by
scientists in our field,” Assoc. Prof. Lane said.

AMOS also welcomes a number of respected international delegates.

The conference will feature more than 300 presentations on emerging,
current and topical Australian research. More details on the conference
website:

http://www.imis100ap1.com.au/AMOS/AMOS2015/Home/AMOSNationalConference2015/Home.aspx?hkey=e329fe4f-2c9f-4fba-b29a-31e453413862

*FOLLOW US ONLINE*

You can also be a part of the live conversation via our social media
platforms using the hashtag #AMOS2015 on Twitter: @amosupdates, and on
Facebook: /amosupdates

*MEDIA CONTACT*

Melissa Lyne, ph: 0415 514 328, email: Melissa at amos.org.au

---

AMOS is an independent Australian society that supports and fosters
interest in meteorology, oceanography and other related sciences. The
Society helps all those with an interest in the environment including
research workers and professionals, those whose work is affected by, and
affects, the atmosphere and oceans.

*With thanks to our generous sponsors: The Bureau of Meteorology, The ARC
Centre of Excellence for Climate System Science, CSIRO, National
Computational Infrastructure, The University of Queensland and the American
Meteorological Society.*