[ASC-media] Media Alert: Aussie telescope almost doubles known number of mysterious ‘fast radio bursts’

Pete Wheeler pete.wheeler at uwa.edu.au
Wed Oct 10 17:55:23 PDT 2018

Using a radio telescope in Western Australia, astronomers have nearly doubled the known number of 'fast radio bursts’— powerful flashes of radio waves from deep space. The team's discoveries include the closest and brightest fast radio bursts ever detected and proof that FRBs come from the other side of the Universe, rather than from our own galactic neighbourhood.

Visit www.icrar.org/bursts<http://www.icrar.org/bursts> for the full story.

The research paper, high-resolution images, an animation and a video are available from this url, and the researchers are available to respond to media enquiries.

Animation: https://vimeo.com/icrar/frbjourney
Video: https://vimeo.com/icrar/askapfrb

Pete Wheeler
Outreach, Education and Communications Manager

Ph: +61 8 6488 7758
Mobile: +61 423 982 018

[http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/icrar.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/06160138/image001.png]
<http://www.icrar.org>www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/about/>    Subscribe to our eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe>    ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar>   ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>