[ASC-media] Media Alert: Telescope Maps Cosmic Rays in Large and Small Magellanic Clouds

Pete Wheeler pete.wheeler at uwa.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 17:30:09 PDT 2018

Greetings,

Using the Murchison Widefield Array, an Australian precursor to the Square Kilometre Array radio telescope, a team of researchers has mapped two neighbouring galaxies—the Large and Small Magellanic Clouds—in unprecedented detail, revealing cosmic rays from supernova remnants and hot gas belonging to star forming regions.

‘A Multi-Frequency Radio Continuum Study of the Magellanic Clouds. I. Overall Structure and Star Formation Rates’ was published in The Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on September 4th, 2018.

The full media release and research paper are attached and supporting imagery is available at https://www.icrar.org/cosmic-rays/

Thank you, and have a great day.
Regards
Pete

Pete Wheeler
Outreach, Education and Communications Manager

Ph: +61 8 6488 7758
Mobile: +61 423 982 018

[http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/icrar.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/06160138/image001.png]
<http://www.icrar.org>www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/about/>    Subscribe to our eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe>    ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar>   ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>