[ASC-media] AusSMC BRIEFING: November bushfires - are they exceptional, could they have been prevented and is climate change to blame? AND ASC SESSION

Alison Leigh alisonleigh at iprimus.com.au
Wed Nov 13 14:49:28 PST 2019

Hi S

When is a good time to talk today ?

I am at my desk till midday - then in a car  to canberra - as passenger -so  can talk then as well

I only caught the last bit of your bushfire briefing as i stupidly thought you’d be on Adelaide time -

This morning I heard ex fire chief on RN breakfast - Greg Mullins - the bloke Lisa Upton told us about

He was brilliant : here’s an excerpt of what he said

....... it's a fact that over the past five years our emissions have been going up, not down. It appears we are using credits from our very low Kyoto commitments to offset the Paris [agreement obligations].

"Mother Nature is not fooled by dodgy accounting, she just sees the CO2 go up."

Mr Mullins said climate change "makes the drought much worse, and we see these mega fires that we just can't put out."

He said he wants to see a bipartisan approach to addressing climate change and for the government to declare a climate emergency.

"It is not normal, it hasn't happened like this before. We can't fix the past so let's start now and fix the base cause, which is the burning of coal and gas.

I think the Climate Council’s idea of using him as their spokesperson might be an example to discuss in the ASC session - by Feb we will know whether it has succeeded in changing policies .

I’d like to talk to you about strategic examples we could use as talking points .

Anyway give me a time that suits you.

AL x