[ASC-media] Outback telescope captures Milky Way centre, discovers remnants of dead stars

Pete Wheeler pete.wheeler at uwa.edu.au
Tue Nov 19 12:42:12 PST 2019

For Immediate Release—Nov 20

Outback telescope captures Milky Way centre, discovers remnants of dead stars

A radio telescope in the Western Australian outback has captured a spectacular new view of the centre of the galaxy in which we live, the Milky Way.

The image from the Murchison Widefield Array (MWA) telescope shows what our galaxy would look like if human eyes could see radio waves.

Astrophysicist Dr Natasha Hurley-Walker, from the Curtin University node of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy Research (ICRAR), created the images using the Pawsey Supercomputing Centre in Perth.

See attached for the media release or visit the webpage to view the release and supporting multimedia www.icrar.org/GLEAM2019 <http://www.icrar.org/GLEAM2019>

Regards
Pete

Pete Wheeler
Communications, Outreach & Education Manager

Ph: +61 8 6488 7758
Mobile: +61 423 982 018

[http://s3-ap-southeast-2.amazonaws.com/icrar.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/06160138/image001.png]
<http://www.icrar.org/>www.icrar.org<http://www.icrar.org/about/>    Subscribe to our eNewsletter<http://www.icrar.org/#subscribe>    ICRAR on Twitter<http://twitter.com/icrar>   ICRAR on Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICRAR/199692286227>

[cid:cf96aefd-d038-4552-abc6-aa6b436722df at ausprd01.prod.outlook.com]